Saturday, January 24, 2015

Magic Carpet

I just returned from a 3 day Magic Carpet class held at Quilting in the Desert. Ginny Goodbar taught liberated quilting techniques to construct strata which were then combined to create a "magic carpet". The finished top is then layered with batting and backing. The top will be quilted with couched threads, beads and decorative stitching. My magic carpet top is now ready to quilt, but I have a few other projects to complete before I can start embellishing my top. The top is 30 inches by 42 inches.
Magic Carpet top

3 comments:

  1. It really does evoke a magic carpet feeling, Phyl! I love the way the border fabric emphasizes the reds and darker hues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did turn out a bit darker than I envisioned but maybe that's what gives it the magic carpet feel. The really good thing, I only used fabrics from my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! I am looking forward to seeing the embellishments!! Very cool, Phyl!

    ReplyDelete